Sunday, November 24, 2013

Quotes for the Week: Archimedes (287 – 212BC)



Archimedes was a Greek mathematician, physicist, engineer, inventor, and astronomer. He is popularly known for his work on the Archimedes’ principle, Archimedes’ screw, hydrostatics, levers and infinitesimals.

Archimedes was also able to prove that the sphere has two thirds of the volume and surface area of the cylinder. He was killed during the Siege of Syracuse by a Roman soldier even though there had been instructions that he should not be harmed.
Archimedes. Image: Wikimedia
Here are some of the quotes from Archimedes:
Eureka! – I have found it!
Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
Do not disturb my circles!
Mathematics reveals its secrets only to those who approach it with pure love, for its own beauty.
Give me but a firm spot on which to stand, and I shall move the earth.
Have a great week everyone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What's your view on this? We'll be happy to listen to your opinion.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...